Monday, March 29, 2010

POV

Ok, well, I've resumed writing. I'm making my way through a trial scene at the moment. It's a scene that I know will need to be revised later on due to the tedious task of fact-checking. Of course, the benefit to having your story set in the future in some made-up society is that you can make up all the rules of said society yourself. So the facts aren't super important, really. But I will check them anyway, if for no other reason than to make sure the lawyers sound lawyer-y enough.

I'm also still trying to figure out if there's really any point to doing this blog. I do find it useful, personally, but I could just as well type this stuff up in a Word document or whatever. Why bother posting it here? Well, I figure if I can get in the habit of posting regularly (which I know I haven't really done so far), I'll be able to start a blog in the future that is actually about something people want to read about. What that topic will be, who knows. For now, I practice with this, my nonsense blog.


Anyway, if I recall correctly, I was going to talk about Point of View this time, right? God, this sounds like a virtual English class now. Hmm. Well, this is an issue for me because I spent a lot of time deciding what perspective to use for my current narrative. See, I feel more comfortable in first person, it just feels more natural. However, it's limiting. Dystopias are normally in 3rd person, it seems (with notable exceptions like A Clockwork Orange). I thought it would be interesting to do it in the first person since it's atypical for the genre, at least as far as I'm aware. To deal with the issue of the limited perspective, I thought I could write the story from multiple characters' POVs. Faulkner did it, why not me, right? Well, it proved too complicated with the number of characters I had originally and what I needed to happen. I couldn't make it work. So I delayed my attempt at being William Faulkner (never gonna happen, I know) for another story, one that is probably better suited to the technique anyway.

And I'm writing it in the 3rd person. Which is good. It's different than what I'm most comfortable in, even if it's the usual for the genre. I guess it's the usual for a reason, then, huh?

I feel like I've repeated myself here. Did I already talk about all this? It's short enough, I guess it doesn't matter too much. In the future, maybe I'll check before I type out a post. Maybe. Probably not. Who cares? It's a practice blog anyway.

Now I must resume the fun writing. We're coming up on an assassination attempt and the trial verdict! Excitement abounds! Even if the damn defense attorney is a bit better than I expected, and making things difficult as a result...

No comments:

Post a Comment